What do I wear for family portraits?
If we had time, we would love to be able to go with each person and help them choose the best clothes for their portraits. Unfortunately, we don't. Don't fear though! We have a few helpful tips that will help you in your wardrobe selection! Keep in mind, clothes are supposed to enhance the photos. Not be a distraction!
- You want to coordinate but not match exactly! Choose complementary or analogous colors and mix it up! If everyone wears the same white shirt and blue jeans...it looks a little too matchy-matchy.
- Solid colors are usually the best choice. If you choose to wear a pattern, make sure it's small...no crazy zebra strips. You don't want to be the only person someone notices when they look at the portrait.
- Everyone should know the rule that darker colors make things look smaller. If you are worried about your weight, don't wear a white or neon shirt!
- Change up the clothing styles. Have one person wear jeans, one person in a dress, one in khakis, etc.
- Don't forget accessories! Jewelry, scarves, hats....
- Make sure your shoes match! We don't want crazy colored tennis shoes that don't match anything. The only thing you will notice in the portrait are the neon shoes. So, either dress shoes, casual shoes, or color matching tennis shoes.
- We are creating a piece of art to hang on your wall. Think about where you will be hanging your family portrait. You want to choose clothes that will complement your style and decor. If you don't have anything red in your house, then don't choose red to wear in your family photo.
We suggest laying everyone's clothes out together, either on the floor or the bed. If there's one item that really seems to stick out...try to find something else.